Tell Congressional Leadership: Get The REAL VAWA (S.1925) Passed!
Time is running out! Act with us- in DC or your hometown- to tell Congress they must pass a VAWA before they go on their July 4th vacation as part of our National 10 Days of Action for VAWA!
Congress needs to send a REAL VAWA, with all of the provisions in S. 1925 included, to the President that serves ALL victims and contains NO rollbacks to the current VAWA. As more and more legislation is stalled due to Congressional gridlock, we need Congressional leaders to hear our strong and united message once and for all: your work on VAWA is not over. We have too much at stake and doing nothing is not an option.
Stand with us as during our National 10 Days of Action as we fight to push VAWA over the finish line!
PARTICIPATE IN OUR 10 DAYS OF ACTION TO SAVE VAWA FROM JUNE 24 – JULY 4TH! DO ONE OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING SIX ACTIVITIES!
Be sure to Check out our VAWA 10 Days Of Action Page on our website.
JOIN US IN DC!
National VAWA Days of Action
- Day: Tuesday, June 26, 2012
- Time: 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m
- Location: U.S. Capitol, Area 9, enter site at the intersection of 1st Street and Constitution Avenue
- PLEASE REGISTER to let us know your coming!!
On June 26th a rally on Capitol Hill will spotlight the national VAWA Days of Action campaign that will last until July 4th. We want Congress to see us on the Hill. Thousands will gather at the US Capitol to directly call upon Congress to reauthorize the REAL VAWA now. We will send the message to Congress that victims cannot wait and a VAWA that mirrors S. 1925 must be reauthorized. Now is the time to show Congress how important VAWA is to victims, survivors and advocates across the country. If you cannot attend send the flier to everyone you know in the DC area, including your members of Congress and staff, and ask them to join the National Rally.
Speakers at the DC rally include national organizations supporting the reauthorization of the REAL VAWA and a broad cross section of supporters.
- Singer and Songwriter, Michael Bolton
- The Honorable Daniel K. Akaka, Chairman, Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Dr. Avis Jones-Deweever, National Council of Negro Women
- Juan Carlos Arean, Casa De Esperanza
- Terry O’Neill, National Organization for Women
- Juana Majel, National Congress of American Indians: and many more
ACTIVATE YOUR NETWORKS TO HAVE A LOCAL DAY OF ACTION
Activate your membership for a local event!! Organize your members, friends, families and everyone you know who cares about domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking to stand up and speak out. Organize a vigil, rally, prayer service or other local action in your community to tell Congress that victims cannot wait and a VAWA that mirrors S. 1925 must be reauthorized. Post and send pictures of your local actions broadly so that Congress will know to act now and pass the Real VAWA. Be sure to register your event here and on our Facebook page so that we can post it and others in your area can join you. Download the national rally materials and use them in your area to send a unified message.
NOT IN DC? JAM THE PHONES ON TUESDAY, JUNE 26th!
Each of us must use our telephone on June 26th to send one national unified message to Congress to pass the REAL VAWA now. Call House and Senate leadership and insist that they stop the posturing, solve the procedural problems and move quickly to conference. Tell them:
I urge you to pass a bipartisan VAWA reauthorization bill, like S.1925, that protects ALL victims of violence-doing nothing is not an option. VAWA has positively impacted me/my community in the following way: _______________. You are our leaders and we know you care about VAWA, so solve the procedural challenge – to the benefit of as many victims as possible – and get VAWA reauthorized. By reauthorizing a bipartisan VAWA reauthorization bill like S. 1925 that protects all victims of violence, VAWA programs and services can continue to serve victims and make our communities safer.
CALL YOUR MEMBER OF CONGRESS, 202-224-3121
- Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), (202) 225-0600
- Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA), (202) 225-4000
- Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), (202) 225-0100
- Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), (202) 224-3542
- Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), (202) 224-2541
- Chair of the Democratic Conference Senator Chuck Schumer (202) 224-6542
DO YOU TWEET? TWEET ON JUNE 26TH – JULY 4TH!
Be sure to use these hashtags! #ReauthorizeVAWA, #RealVAWA and #VAWA
Sample tweets for June 26th:
- Congress must pass the #RealVAWA bf their July 4th vacation. Join National 10 days of #Action4VAWA to tell them why: http://bit.ly/Lj18KQ
- I’m joining National 10 Days of #Action4VAWA to tell Congress to pass #RealVAWA bc I want ALL survivors to be safe. http://bit.ly/Lj18KQ
- [Fill in your Congress Person’s twitter handle]: Pass the #RealVAWA for ALL survivors! I’m standing up to take #Action4VAWA: http://bit.ly/Lj18KQ
DO YOU USE FACEBOOK?
- Click here, to join the National 10 Days of Action for VAWA Facebook page, and be sure to check back for updates!
- Post the information, flyers and posters to your Facebook page with this link 4vawa
SCHEDULE IN DISTRICT VISITS!
We need every senator and representative to understand that this issue impacts their district and their constituents. Have a meeting with a staffer in your representative’s office and tell them why VAWA is important and why they should get a VAWA passed that is closest to the Senate bill and that protects ALL victims. Other bills are DANGEROUS for victims, they roll back VAWA protections, abandon Tribal women, immigrant an LGBT victims and are NOT the REAL VAWA. Instead, we need a bipartisan bill that includes ALL victims.
Use tips from our TOOLKIT to: work with your community, have legislative visits and reach out to policy makers.
Thank you – as always for your great work!
- We’ve had over 57,000 visits to our website! Be sure to come back often for fact sheets, press coverage, support letters and updates.
- Follow us on twitter at @NTFVAWA and “like” our Facebook page where you can find a toolkit and other action and information items.
- Don’t forget to tweet about VAWA using the hashtags #ReauthorizeVAWA, #RealVAWA and #VAWA.
- If you aren't on one of the VAWA email lists or want to add members of your staff or state/community leaders to our grassroots alerts e-mailing list, send names and contact information including email to email@example.com.