Do it now, do it right, do your job!
We need to push Congress to act on VAWA before it’s too late! And the VAWA that is passed MUST be the real VAWA that serves ALL victims and contains NO rollbacks to the current VAWA. As more and more legislation is stalled due to Congressional gridlock, we need Congressional leaders to hear our strong and united message once and for all: your work on VAWA is not over. We need you to work out a way to go to conference and send a bill to the President that closely mirrors the bipartisan Senate-passed bill, S. 1925, the REAL VAWA. Victims of violence and the counseling, medical, law enforcement and service provider professionals who serve them are relying on you to pass an inclusive VAWA bill- we have too much at stake and doing nothing is not an option.
ACTION 1: PLEASE CONTACT HOUSE AND SENATE LEADERSHIP WITH THIS MESSAGE TODAY! We are holding leaders of both parties responsible for making this happen.
ACTION 2: LEARN ABOUT OUR NATIONAL WEEK OF ACTION FOR VAWA FROM JUNE 26TH to JULY 4TH! SEE DETAILS BELOW ABOUT PLANNING EVENTS IN YOUR COMMUNITY.
ACTION 1: CALL HOUSE AND SENATE LEADERSHIP AND INSIST THAT THEY STOP THE POSTURING, SOLVE THE PROCEDURAL PROBLEMS AND MOVE QUICKLY TO CONFERENCE. Tell them:
I urge you to pass a bipartisan VAWA reauthorization bill, like S.1925, that protects ALL victims of violence-doing nothing is not an option. VAWA has positively impacted me/my community in the following way: _______________. By reauthorizing a bipartisan VAWA reauthorization bill like S. 1925 that protects all victims of violence, VAWA programs and services can continue to serve victims and make our communities safer.
- Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), (202) 225-0600
- Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA), (202) 225-4000
- Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), (202) 225-0100
- Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), (202) 224-3542
- Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), (202) 224-2541
- Chair of the Democratic Conference Senator Chuck Schumer, (202) 224-6542
Action 2: PARTICIPATE IN OUR NATIONAL WEEK OF ACTION FOR VAWA!
On June 26th a Rally on Capitol Hill will launch the national VAWA Days of Action campaign that will last until July 4th. We call upon you to organize vigils, rallies and local actions in your communities and at your Congressional District offices to tell Congress that victims cannot wait and a VAWA that mirrors S. 1925 must be reauthorized. Now is the time to show Congress how important VAWA is to victims, survivors and advocates across the country. Organize your members, friends, families and everyone you know who cares about domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking to stand up and speak out. Start your local planning efforts today! More details to come.
Thank you - as always for your great work!
- We’ve had more than 55,000 visits to our website! Contine to visit 4vawa.org for fact sheets, press coverage, support letters, and updates.
- Follow us on twitter at @NTFVAWA and “like” our Facebook page where you can find a toolkit and other action and information items.
- Don’t forget to tweet about VAWA using the hashtags #ReauthorizeVAWA, #RealVAWA and #VAWA.
- If you aren't on one of the VAWA email lists or want to add members of your staff or state/community leaders to our grassroots alerts e-mailing list, send names and contact information including email to email@example.com.