After VAWA’s recent reauthorization, our attention must turn to the funding (“appropriations”) process to ensure that all of VAWA’s programs receive the money that they need to provide services to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking.
The first step in the appropriations process involves Members of Congress circulating “Dear Colleague” letters asking their fellow Members to support certain funding priorities. Representatives Moore (D-WI), Schakowsky (D-IL), and Conyers (D-MI) have just circulated a letter to House Members in support of funding for VAWA and other programs that provide services for victims.
Your Representatives now have an opportunity to sign on to that letter, especially those who voted for VAWA at the end of February. Now is a critical time to make your voices heard – tell Congress to stand with victims and provide needed funding for VAWA’s programs that work every day to serve victims.
ACTION ITEM: EMAIL, TWEET, AND CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES AND ASK THEM TO SIGN ON TO THE DEAR COLLEAGUE LETTER IN SUPPORT OF FUNDING VAWA
When you call, be sure to ask to speak to the staff person who handles appropriations.
Tell or leave the following message for the staff person:
I am a constituent from (city and state) and my name is _________.
I want to urge Representative____ to sign onto the Dear Colleague letter circulated by Representatives Moore, Schakowsky, and Conyers in support of funding for VAWA and all of the programs that serve victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking.
These funds provide life-saving services to victims in our community and we appreciate/expect the Representative’s support.
Tweet your Representatives and ask them to sign on:
- [@handle] Please support funding for services to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence & stalking in the FY14 budget!
ACTION ITEM: STAY TUNED!
Watch for alerts in the coming weeks about a similar letter in the Senate and other actions you can take to ensure VAWA is funded!
- For more information, fact sheets, press coverage, support letters and updates continue to visit www.4vawa.org
- Follow us on Twitter at @NTFVAWA and “like” our Facebook page.
- Don’t forget to tweet about VAWA using the hashtag #VAWA.
- If you aren't on one of the VAWA email lists or want to add members of your staff or state/community leaders to our grassroots alerts e-mail list, send names and contact information including email to firstname.lastname@example.org.