After VAWA’s recent reauthorization, our attention must turn to the funding (“appropriations”) process to ensure that all of VAWA’s programs receive the money that they need to provide services to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking.
The first step in the appropriations process involves Members of Congress circulating “Dear Colleague” letters asking their fellow Members to support certain funding priorities. The House letter for VAWA funding, circulated by Representatives Moore (D-WI), Schakowsky (D-IL), and Conyers (D-MI), received over 100 signatures thanks to all of the calls you made! Now, Senators Leahy (D-VT) and Crapo (R-ID) are circulating a letter in the Senate in support of funding for VAWA and other programs that provide services for victims.
This is a critical time to make your voices heard – ask your two Senators to stand with victims and provide needed funding for VAWA’s programs that work every day to serve victims. Every Senator who voted for VAWA should be on this letter!
ACTION ITEM: EMAIL, TWEET, AND CALL YOUR SENATORS AND ASK THEM TO SIGN ON TO THE DEAR COLLEAGUE LETTER IN SUPPORT OF FUNDING VAWA & VOCA
You can reach your Senators by calling (202) 224-3121, or you can look them up here:http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
When you call, be sure to ask to speak to the staff person who handles appropriations.
Tell or leave the following message for the staff person:
I am a constituent from (city and state) and my name is _________.
I want to urge Senator____ to sign onto the Dear Colleague letter circulated by Senators Leahy and Crapo in support of funding for VAWA, VOCA and all of the programs that serve victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking.
These funds provide life-saving services to victims in our community and we would appreciate the Senator’s support.
Tweet your Senators and ask them to sign on:
- [@handle] Please support funding for services to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence & stalking in the FY14 budget!
VAWA Support Letter
- Continue to visit us on 4vawa.org ror more information, fact sheets, press coverage, support letters and updates.
- Follow us on Twitter at @NTFVAWA and “like” our Facebook page.
- Don’t forget to tweet about VAWA using the hashtag #VAWA.
- If you aren't on one of the VAWA email lists or want to add members of your staff or state/community leaders to our grassroots alerts e-mail list, send names and contact information including email to firstname.lastname@example.org.