Urge Your Members of Congress to Support House bill providing for Commonsense Background Check!
As we continue to keep up the pressure on our Senators to reconsider critical gun safety legislation, our focus shifts to the House of Representatives where legislation was recently introduced to expand background checks! This bill, H.R. 1565, introduced by Congressmen Peter King (R-NY) and Mike Thompson (D-CA) mirrors the bipartisan Manchin/Toomey Senate compromise measure that would require background checks for all gun sales in commercial settings, including at gun shows, on the internet and in classified ads. While the Senate bill fell 5 votes short of passage last month due to a procedural hurdle, Senators promise to have another vote SOON. It’s time to work with our House members if we hope to have gun safety legislation this year.
Due to loopholes in current law, domestic violence abusers are easily able to obtain firearms through private sales and transfers, even though they should be prohibited from doing so under federal law. Over 6.6 million guns are transferred each year through private transfer not subject to background checks and just the presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the risk of homicide for women by 500%. The King/Thompson bill would help keep guns out of the hands of domestic abusers, reduce violence and save women’s lives. This legislation already has over 160 co-sponsors, including 3 Republican representatives- but we need more! To check if your representative is a co-sponsor, click here.
Now, we need you to urge your representatives to co-sponsor H.R. 1565, the King/Thompson background check bill and take a stand for women, children and families!
ACTION ITEM 1): CONTACT YOUR HOUSE MEMBERS AND ASK THEM TO CO-SPONSOR H.R. 1565, BIPARTISAN LEGISLATION THAT WOULD EXPAND BACKGROUND CHECKS AND SAVE WOMEN’S LIVES!
When you call, be sure to ask to speak to the staff person who handles gun violence legislation and say:
- I am a constituent from [city and state] and my name is _________.
- I urge Representative [insert name] to co-sponsor H.R. 1565, the King/Thompson bill that would expand background checks for all gun sales in commercial settings. There are too many loopholes in current law that allow domestic abusers to access firearms and by expanding the background check system, this commonsense, bipartisan bill will reduce violence against women and save lives.
- Thank the staffer for their time and ask if they will let you know if and when the Member co-sponsors or supports this gun safety bill.
ACTION ITEM 2) TWEET THESE MESSAGES TO YOUR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS!
- Just called my Rep in support of expanded background checks that will save women’s lives! Learn more & take action @4vawa.org
- Presence of guns in domestic violence situations increases risk of homicide 4 women by 500%. Act now! 4vawa.org #savewomenslives
- When states require bkgrnd checks 4 all gun sales 38% fewer women shot 2 death by intimate partners 4vawa.org #savewomenslives
- Over 6 million guns transferred each yr thru private transfers without bckgrnd checks. Take action! 4vawa.org #savewomenslives
- [Insert Representative’s Twitter handle] Take the lethal impact of guns in domestic & sexual violence & stalking cases seriously. Support HR 1565! #savewomenslives
- For more information, fact sheets, press coverage, support letters and updates continue visit us at 4vawa.org.
- Follow us on Twitter at @NTFVAWA and “like” our Facebook page!
- If you would like to be added to our grassroots alerts e-mail list, send names and contact information including email to firstname.lastname@example.org.