WILL YOU TAKE PART TO ENSURE THAT CONGRESS PASSES A FINAL VAWA THAT INCLUDES ALL VICTIMS?
Act with us- in DC or your hometown- to tell Congress they must get VAWA moving before they go on their July 4th vacation. Before the end of summer, Congress needs to send a REAL VAWA to the President to sign with all of the inclusive provisions in S. 1925. The final VAWA must serve ALL victims and contain NO rollbacks to the current VAWA and we need to get movement so that can happen. As more and more legislation is stalled due to Congressional gridlock, we need Congressional leaders to hear our strong and united message once and for all: your work on VAWA is not over. We have too much at stake and doing nothing is not an option. Stand with us during our National 10 Days of Action as we fight to push VAWA over the finish line!
PARTICIPATE IN OUR 10 DAYS OF ACTION TO SAVE VAWA FROM JUNE 24TH – JULY 4TH! DO ONE OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES BELOW!
Click here for updates and new information.
1) JOIN US FOR A RALLY IN DC!
National VAWA Days of Action
Day: Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Time: 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Location: U.S. Capitol, Area 9, enter site at the intersection of 1st Street and Constitution Avenue NE.
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!
On June 26th a rally on Capitol Hill will spotlight the national VAWA Days of Action campaign that will last until July 4th. We want Congress to see us on the Hill! Thousands will gather at the US Capitol to directly call upon Congress to reauthorize the REAL VAWA now. We will send the message to Congress that victims cannot wait and a VAWA that mirrors S. 1925 must be reauthorized. Now is the time to show Congress how important VAWA is to victims, survivors and advocates across the country. If you cannot attend, send the flier to everyone you know in the DC area, including your Members of Congress and staff, and ask them to join the National Rally.
Speakers at the DC rally represent many of the national organizations supporting the reauthorization of the REAL VAWA and a broad cross section of supporters. Speakers include: Musician, Singer and Songwriter Michael Bolton; Colin Goddard, Survivor of the Mass Shooting at Virginia Tech on April 16, 2007; The Honorable Daniel K. Akaka, Chairman, Senate Committee on Indian Affairs; Dr. Avis Jones-DeWeever, National Council of Negro Women; Juan Carlos Arean, Casa De Esperanza; Terry O’Neill, National Organization for Women; Juana Majel, National Congress of American Indians; Veda Shook, Association of Flight Attendants International; Rabbi David Saperstein, Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism; Neil Irvin, Men Can Stop Rape; Karin Quimby, Human Rights Campaign; Barbara Palmer, YWCA of Annapolis and Anne Arundel Co.; and many more.
CLICK HERE TO SEE SAMPLE POSTERS AND MESSAGES FOR THE RALLY!
2) ACTIVATE YOUR NETWORKS TO HAVE A LOCAL DAY OF ACTION
Activate your membership for a local event!! Organize your members, friends, families and everyone you know who cares about domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking to stand up and speak out. Organize a vigil, rally, prayer service, press conference or other local action in your community to tell Congress that victims cannot wait and a VAWA that mirrors S. 1925 must be reauthorized. Post and send pictures of your local actions broadly so that Congress will know to act now and pass the Real VAWA. Be sure to register your event and register on our Facebook page so that we can post it and others in your area can join you. Download the national rally materials, flier and poster templates and use them in your area to send a unified message.
3) NOT IN DC? JAM THE PHONES ON TUESDAY, JUNE 26th!
Each of us must use our telephone on June 26th to send one national unified message to Congress to pass the REAL VAWA now. Call House and Senate leadership and insist that they stop the posturing, solve the procedural problems and move quickly to conference. Tell them:
I urge you to pass a bipartisan VAWA reauthorization bill, like S.1925, that protects ALL victims of violence-doing nothing is not an option. VAWA has positively impacted me/my community in the following way: _______________. You are our leaders and we know you care about VAWA, so please find a unanimous consent motion all Senators can agree to, solve the blue slip problem, and free VAWA for final negotiations before you leave for vacation. We will not settle for stalemate. We want a final VAWA this summer so that VAWA programs and services can continue to serve victims and make our communities safer.
- Your Member of Congress, (202)224-3121
- Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), (202) 225-0600
- Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA), (202) 225-4000
- Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), (202) 225-0100
- Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), (202) 224-3542
- Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), (202) 224-3135
- Chair of the Democratic Conference Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY), (202) 224-6542
4) DO YOU TWEET? TWEET ON JUNE 26TH – JULY 4TH!
Be sure to use these hashtags! #ReauthorizeVAWA, #RealVAWA and #VAWA
Sample tweets include:
Congress must pass the #RealVAWA bf their July 4th vacation. Join National 10 days of #Action4VAWA to tell them why: http://bit.ly/Lj18KQ
I’m joining National 10 Days of #Action4VAWA to tell Congress to pass #RealVAWA bc I want ALL survivors to be safe. http://bit.ly/Lj18KQ
[Fill in your Congress Person’s twitter handle]: Pass the #RealVAWA for ALL survivors! I’m standing up to take #Action4VAWA: http://bit.ly/Lj18KQ
“The support and services I received gave me my life back” -@itsgabrielleu, actress & survivor. Support #RealVAWA so others can live
“She knew that she had to get out of the relationship for her safety and her children” –Danielle. Support #RealVAWA 4vawa
The night April fled her SC home, her husband had punched and strangled her. #VAWA S.1925 can help her. Take Action: http://bit.ly/PIK9zJ
DV programs wouldn’t help “people like me” – Alma, transgender survivor of violence. #VAWA must help all survivors 4vawa #LGBT
“Rape Assistance Volunteers told me it wasn’t my fault. I can now look @ myself in the mirror.” –Leanna of CO. #REALVAWA helps survivors
“They beat me & raped me, after that my whole life was different.” Gabe of IL. #VAWA must help all survivors 4vawa
Sexual assault of men remains “a silent epidemic” –Gabe of IL. Support a #VAWA tht helps all victims of violence 4vawa
Police said “what do you want us to do? You’re both men” –Victor, survivor of DV. #VAWA must help all survivors 4vawa
@johnboehner, HR4970 is not the #RealVAWA, take up the Senate version & protect all victims of violence!
@SenJohnMcCain plz share Jenny in AZ’s story: “Even today, I look behind the door every time I enter a bedroom” http://bit.ly/MABIX0 #VAWA
“Rapists take away your childhood, your innocence, your spirit.” –Sasha of WI. Support #RealVAWA so survivors have hope http://bit.ly/PIK9zJ
“So many girls still are silent, maybe because they don’t know where to turn” –Missy, VA. #VAWA provides somewhere to turn 4vawa
FYI – Congressional Leadership Twitter Handles:
4) DO YOU USE FACEBOOK?
Join the National 10 Days of Action for VAWA Facebook page and check back for updates!
Post the information, flyers and posters to your Facebook page.
Post survivor stories and other information about VAWA to your FB page and check out our FB page for posts you can share.
- “Although nothing will ever change the horrific and violent events of that day, I am filled with hope for a brighter future because of the services these people provided for my family.” – Julie in FL. Support the Real VAWA that expands protection for survivors. Visit 4vawa for more info!
- 10 armed youths repeatedly raped a Floridian woman and poured household chemicals over her body. This victim was not protected by VAWA, but would be under the new Senate version. Take Action Now: http://bit.ly/PIK9zJ
- “As a member of this body, as a survivor of sexual assault, battery, and from age five through my teenage years, through my early adulthood, I can tell you that it is very traumatic to be here in this body today and to find my colleagues not taking the recommended updates…” – @RepGwenMoore (D-Wis). Tell your reps to vote for the Real VAWA http://bit.ly/PIK9zJ
- Jenny in AZ had just graduated from college when she became a victim of James Allen Selby, an armed serial rapist who had broken into her home. “Even today, I look behind the door every time I enter a bedroom” Support survivors, support VAWA. 4vawa
- LGBT people experience violence at the same rates as all communities but have fewer places to turn and face discrimination when seeking services. VAWA must support ALL survivors! Support survivors, support VAWA. 4vawa
5) SCHEDULE IN-DISTRICT VISITS!
We need every Senator and Representative to understand that this issue impacts their district and their constituents. Have a meeting with a staffer in your Representative’s office and tell them why VAWA is important and why they should get a VAWA passed that is closest to the Senate bill and that protects ALL victims. Other bills are DANGEROUS for victims, they roll back VAWA protections, abandon Tribal women, immigrant an LGBT victims and are NOT the REAL VAWA. Instead, we need a bipartisan bill that includes ALL victims.
Use tips from our TOOLKIT to: work with your community, have legislative visits and reach out to policy makers.
Thank you, as always, for your great work!
- We’ve had over 59,000 visits to our website! Be sure to conintue to heck our website for fact sheets, press coverage, support letters and updates.
- Follow us on twitter at @NTFVAWA and “like” our Facebook page where you can find a toolkit and other action and information items:
- Don’t forget to tweet about VAWA using the hashtags #ReauthorizeVAWA, #RealVAWA and #VAWA.
- If you aren't on one of the VAWA email lists or want to add members of your staff or state/community leaders to our grassroots alerts e-mailing list, send names and contact information including email to firstname.lastname@example.org.