WILL YOU TAKE PART TO ENSURE THAT CONGRESS PASSES A FINAL VAWA THAT INCLUDES ALL VICTIMS AND SCRAPS HOUSE ROLLBACKS?
THANK YOU!! Because of you, we had a hugely successful rally in DC with hundreds of advocates who told Congress they must get VAWA moving!! Speakers included Senators Akaka and Leahy, Congresswoman Moore, Michael Bolton and many more. As Michael Bolton said “I’m here to talk about men, the 31 men in the Senate who oppose VAWA.” Bolton asked the question on all of our minds, “Why are they not willing to help immigrant, native women, and GLBT victims of domestic violence and sexual assault?”
Before the end of summer, Congress needs to send a REAL VAWA to the President to sign with all of the inclusive provisions in S. 1925. Like S. 1925, the final VAWA must represent our intentional, bipartisan goal to serve ALL victims and contain NO rollbacks to the current VAWA and we need to get movement so that can happen. As more and more legislation is stalled due to Congressional gridlock, we need Congressional leaders to hear our strong and united message once and for all: your work on VAWA is not over. We have too much at stake and doing nothing is not an option. Stand with us as we fight to push VAWA over the finish line!
TAKE ACTION NOW!!
1) ACTIVATE YOUR NETWORKS TO HAVE A LOCAL DAY OF ACTION
Activate your membership for a local event!! Organize your members, friends, families and everyone you know who cares about domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking to stand up and speak out. Organize a vigil, rally, prayer service or other local action in your community to tell Congress that victims cannot wait and a VAWA that mirrors S. 1925 must be reauthorized. Post and send pictures of your local actions broadly so that Congress will know to act now and pass the Real VAWA. Be sure to register your event and register on our Facebook page so that we can post it and others in your area can join you. Download the national rally materials and use them in your area to send a unified message.
2) JAM THE PHONES!
Each of us must use our telephone from now until o send one national unified message to Congress to pass the REAL VAWA now. Call House and Senate leadership and insist that they stop the posturing, solve the procedural problems and move quickly to conference. Tell them:
I urge you to pass a bipartisan VAWA reauthorization bill, like S.1925, that protects ALL victims of violence-doing nothing is not an option. VAWA has positively impacted me/my community in the following way: _______________. You are our leaders and we know you care about VAWA, so solve the procedural challenge – to the benefit of as many victims as possible – and get VAWA reauthorized. By reauthorizing a bipartisan VAWA reauthorization bill like S. 1925 that protects all victims of violence, VAWA programs and services can continue to serve victims and make our communities safer.
CALL your member of Congress, 202-224-3121
Here are some more important numbers to call:
- Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), (202) 225-0600
- Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA), (202) 225-4000
- Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), (202) 225-0100
- Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), (202) 224-3542
- Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), (202) 224-2541
- Chair of the Democratic Conference Senator Chuck Schumer, (202) 224-6542
3) DO YOU TWEET? TWEET TO REAUTHORIZE VAWA!
Be sure to use these hashtags! #ReauthorizeVAWA, #RealVAWA and #VAWA
- @NancyPelosi Congress must pass the #RealVAWA bf yourJuly 4th vacation. This is why: http://bit.ly/Lj18KQ
- @SenatorReid Congress must pass the #RealVAWA bf yourJuly 4th vacation. This is why: http://bit.ly/Lj18KQ
- @McConnellPress Congress must pass the #RealVAWA bf yourJuly 4th vacation. This is why: http://bit.ly/Lj18KQ
- @johnboehner Congress must pass the #RealVAWA bf yourJuly 4th vacation. This is why: http://bit.ly/Lj18KQ
- @SenatorBoxer Congress must pass the #RealVAWA bf yourJuly 4th vacation. This is why: http://bit.ly/Lj18KQ
- @ChuckSchumer Congress must pass the #RealVAWA bf yourJuly 4th vacation. This is why: http://bit.ly/Lj18KQ
- Congress must pass the #RealVAWA bf their July 4th vacation. Join National 10 days of #Action4VAWA to tell them why: http://bit.ly/Lj18KQ
- I’m joining National 10 Days of #Action4VAWA to tell Congress to pass #RealVAWA bc I want ALL survivors to be safe. http://bit.ly/Lj18KQ
- [Fill in your Congress Person’s twitter handle]: Pass the #RealVAWA for ALL survivors! I’m standing up to take #Action4VAWA: http://bit.ly/Lj18KQ
- Eunice in OH suffered abuse, but obtained a court order & got permanent residency through #RealVAWA.Take action4vawa
- @johnboehner Eunice, from OH, was slapped and locked in her closet for failing to satisfy her partner. Will u support all victims? #VAWA
- A community-based org tht helps Black/Latino LGBT was denied #VAWA funding bc it was “ineligible.” Protect all victims4vawa
- Sara in NJ applied 4 legal status under #VAWA since her abusive husband liked 2 threaten deportation. Help others applyhttp://bit.ly/PIK9zJ
- @NancyPelosi, He tried 2 carry out a murder-suicide plan after physically & emotionally abusing Andrea, a CA imm. Will u support #RealVAWA?
- @senatorreid Plz support #RealVAWA. He chained Claire, an immigrant, to the radiator, beat her with a cord & raped her.4vawa
- Claire was able to escape abuse & obtain permanent residency through #VAWA. Give others this chance – call your reps!http://bit.ly/PIK9zJ
- @senatorkirk Mary in IL got a work permit through #VAWA after suffering domestic abuse while pregnant. Will you support all victims?
- He put a knife to Veronica’s throat & threatened to have her & her fam deported from NM. No1 deserves abuse. #RealVAWA 4vawa
FYI – Congressional Leadership Twitter Handles:
4) DO YOU USE FACEBOOK?
Post the information, flyers and posters to your Facebook page: 4vawa
Post survivor stories and other information about VAWA to your FB page and check out our FB page for posts you can share
Here are more stories you can share:
- “Although nothing will ever change the horrific and violent events of that day, I am filled with hope for a brighter future because of the services these people provided for my family.” – Julie in FL. Support the Real VAWA that expands protection for survivors. Visit 4vawa for more info!
- 10 armed youths repeatedly raped a Floridian woman and poured household chemicals over her body. This victim was not protected by VAWA, but would be under the new Senate version. Take Action Now: http://bit.ly/PIK9zJ
- “As a member of this body, as a survivor of sexual assault, battery, and from age five through my teenage years, through my early adulthood, I can tell you that it is very traumatic to be here in this body today and to find my colleagues not taking the recommended updates…” – @RepGwenMoore (D-Wis). Tell your reps to vote for the Real VAWA http://bit.ly/PIK9zJ
- Jenny in AZ had just graduated from college when she became a victim of James Allen Selby, an armed serial rapist who had broken into her home. “Even today, I look behind the door every time I enter a bedroom” Support survivors, support VAWA. 4vawa
- LGBT people experience violence at the same rates as all communities but have fewer places to turn and face discrimination when seeking services. VAWA must support ALL survivors! Support survivors, support VAWA.4vawa
5) SCHEDULE IN-DISTRICT VISITS!
We need every senator and representative to understand that this issue impacts their district and their constituents. Have a meeting with a staffer in your representative’s office and tell them why VAWA is important and why they should get a VAWA passed that is closest to the Senate bill and that protects ALL victims. Other bills are DANGEROUS for victims, they roll back VAWA protections, abandon Tribal women, immigrant and LGBT victims and are NOT the REAL VAWA. Instead, we need a bipartisan bill, like S. 1925, that includes ALL victims.
Use tips from our TOOLKIT to: work with your community, have legislative visits and reach out to policy makers.
Thank you – as always for your great work! We’ve had more than 64,000 visits to our website! Continue to check our website for fact sheets, press coverage, support letters, and updates.
- Follow us on twitter at @NTFVAWA and “like” our Facebook page where you can find a toolkit and other action and information items.
- Don’t forget to tweet about VAWA using the hashtags #ReauthorizeVAWA, #RealVAWA and #VAWA.
- If you aren't on one of the VAWA email lists or want to add members of your staff or state/community leaders to our grassroots alerts e-mailing list, send names and contact information including email to firstname.lastname@example.org.